Pharmacy Technician Job in Calgary, AB at Discovery Ridge Pharmacy & Travel Clinic –
Duties & Responsibilities:
– Gather and document information required to provide pharmacy related services and create a patient record.
– Assist the pharmacist in identifying the patient’s health needs and expectations.
– Gather information required to assess the appropriateness of drug therapy.
– Refer actual or potential drug therapy problems to a pharmacist.
– Receive a verbal order from a prescriber for a schedule 1 drug, reduce to writing and sign or initial.
– Document changes to prescriptions as a result of an authorization from the original prescriber.
– Transfer prescriptions that can legally be transferred to another pharmacy on behalf of a pharmacist.
– Determine that a new or refill prescription is current, authentic and complete.
– Dispense new or refill prescriptions following appropriate procedures.
– Perform a final check of new or refill prescription to ensure that each step in the dispensing process has been completed properly. Including verification that:
- the drug, dosage form, strength, and quantity dispensed are correct according to the prescription
- the prescription label is accurate according to the prescription and contains the information required by standards and legislation
- appropriate auxiliary labels are affixed to prescriptions.
– Perform a final check of a prescription for a narcotic, controlled drug or targeted substance.
– Document activities completed in the dispensing process to create a clear audit trail.
– Create a written transaction record for each drug dispensed.
– Release a prescription or a schedule 2 drug to a patient after ensuring a pharmacist has assessed the patient, evaluated the prescription or the sale and provided required information.
– Refer patients to a pharmacist when appropriate.
– Identify patients who require assistance or may face a risk from the selection or use of a schedule 3 drug, health care product, aid or device and refer to pharmacist.
– Answer questions from patients about schedule 3 drugs, health care products, aids or devices that do not require therapeutic knowledge, clinical analysis or assessment
– Enter into a dialogue and provide assistance to patients choosing health care products, aids or devices
– Provide instruction to patients about how to operate or use health care products, aids or devices.
– Compound drugs according to a written formula and preparation process.
– Document an account of involvement in any drug errors as part of the Quality Assurance Program of the pharmacy.
– Document the pharmacy technician’s activities in the patient record
– Make corrections in patient records when required
– Act as a witness when a pharmacist destroys narcotic or controlled drugs based on authorization from Health Canada.
– Supervise an employee engaged in compounding or providing drugs for sale.
- Registration with Alberta College Of Pharmacy is a must
- Superior customer relations skills and a strong sense of professionalism
- Excellent leadership and performance management skills required
- Proven ability to build the business using community based marketing strategies
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong problem solving skills including the experience formulating and executing action plans
- Strong personal computing skills, as well as knowledge of KROLL Pharmacy Computer system a definite asset
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $19.00-$31.89 per hour
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Store discount
- Vision care
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Calgary, AB: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- pharmacy: 1 year (preferred)
Work Location: In person
Expected start date: 2023-04-06
About the Company
Company: Discovery Ridge Pharmacy & Travel Clinic –
Company Location: Calgary, AB